Day 11 – Monday November 4 – Lake Tekapo
We take it easy today after a noisy weekend. Driving as far as Lake Tekapo where the night sky is a World Heritage Reserve. If you still need to scratch the car itch today, we could stop at the Geraldine Vintage Car and Machinery Museum (you never know who has a thing for old tractors!).
Day 12 – Tuesday November 5 – Wanaka
On the outskirts of Wanaka is a huge collection of cars, toys, fire engines and military machines (and much more) at the Wanaka Transport and Toy Museum. While at the airport you may indulge in a classic flight – take a plane each!
Day 13 – Wednesday November 6 & Day 14- Thursday November 7 – Queenstown
We will spend 5 nights in Queenstown, and have a couple of days at leisure before the next racing weekend. We have a HUGE number of options here, although you may just want to relax. If not, there is 4WDing, Helicopter flights, Bungy Jumping, Jet Boating, Skydiving, Wine Tasting and so much more.
Day 15 – Friday November 8 to Day 17 – Sunday November 10 – Queenstown
Racing again! With a stop in Arrowtown for breakfast, we are heading to Cromwell today for our first look at Highland Motorsport Park. This is the big one. For their first major race weekend, Highlands are hosting the final round of the Australian GT Series with some of the worlds finest sports and supercars competing. Also featuring is the final race of the South Island Endurance Series. There are more details yet to be announced but you can look here for a taste of the track and the events on offer. Highland Park is also home to the Highlands National Motorsport Museum, and I’m sure we’ll have plenty of time to visit this during the weekend.
Day 18 – Monday November 11 – Invercargill
An often overlooked part of New Zealand is the deep south. I grew up down here and know it is well worth our time. In Invercargill we can visit local hardware store E. Hayes & Sons. It seems like an odd choice but the are quietly amassing a collection of old motorcycles, cars and memorabilia, most famously the “World’s Fastest Indian” motorcycles raced by Burt Munro at the Bonneville Salt Flats and featured in the movie of the same name. There is another impressive transport museum in Invercargill, and possibly a few private garages we can sneak a peek into!
Day 19 – Tuesday November 12 – Dunedin
We’ve covered everything else so it’s time for a train ride! Departing from Dunedin’s historic railway station, The Taieri Gorge Railway is a spectacular four-hour train ride through (you guessed it) the Taieri River Gorge.
Day 20 – Wednesday November 13 – Moeraki
Hidden in a small fishing village north of Dunedin is one of the best restaurants in New Zealand. Fleur’s Place is well know to locals, and I’ve driven 3 hours and stayed the night in Moeraki just to have dinner here several times. Tonight, I will show you why!
Day 21 – Thursday November 14 – Depart Christchurch
All good things must come to an end. A leisurely morning drive to Christchurch before departure that evening back to your point of origin.
- I will refine this information as I keep fine tuning the itinerary. More pics will be added so keep checking back.
- This is a private tour, so the itinerary is flexible. Want to stay longer? No problem. Shorter? This is a great tour and I know somebody will want the full thing. You can come for a shorter time, but I will need a minimum commitment of 15 days to make it worth my while.
- We can arrange accommodation and get some idea of costs once we have discussed your needs and number of people coming.
- Accommodation can be hotel, motel or private vacation home, we have huge flexibility here.
- Car is the same, Since this tour is all about cars, we may want to hire something special for the trip. Again, we can discuss this later.
- Coming alone? No problem, let’s rent a sports car! Coming with family? No problem, let’s rent a van!
Contact me directly if you are interested in joining me for this tour.